I'm a fan- I really began to love Hubert Keller on 'Top Chef Masters' this past installment. I think the adoration began with the very first episode when making his dessert (for the Girl Scouts to taste and judge) he made a little mouse out of whipped cream and used almond slivers to make its ears along with a chocolate swoosh of a tail. What whimsy!!!
I live just a block from his SF restaurant, Fleur de Lys, and every so often I'll catch a glimpse of the Master as he's going to and from. The dude is unassuming and seems to be deficient of the hubris in which some of the more famous chefs marinate themselves.
I think things are going to change for Monsieur Hubert because just a couple of days ago, while trotting past Fleur de Lys, I spotted a group of tourists trying to enter through the back door of the restaurant. They had a look of trepidation as they were trying to get an OK to enter, and seemingly take some snaps of Chef. I don't think it's his style to bask in 'celebrity', but I'm sure he met them with his graciousness.... and perhaps a whipped-cream-mouse!
27 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment