16 August 2009

Spreading Aloha

This is the beginning of my blog. I've been a follower/reader of many different blogs written by many different and talented people, although it was The Girl Who (Monica) who finally motivated me to start writing. She has this great idea for a group of bloggers to form a sort of co-op that generates money and shares ideas. Sounds good to me. Monica, you wrote the first blog that I looked forward to every day, and I look forward to this experiment of yours.



My blog's title, Urban Aloha, is kind of my motto. I live in the bustling and sometimes crazy city (I will sometimes refer to it as ci-tay) of San Francisco and I love it. Just because SF peeps are fighting for a space on the sidewalk, or more aptly angrily searching for parking, doesn't mean that we cannot be kind to one another. That is where the ~aloha~ comes in.



Ever been to Hawaii? If you've gotten beyond the trapping of the tourists you may have experienced a local waving to you as they let you merge into traffic. I've been on a surfboard and have been pushed back out to the waves by a huge, smiling local guy who could tell my arms were very nearly spaghetti. After puncturing my foot on a sea urchin, an enormous hotel security agent, named Jr. (!) took care of all my medical costs and delivered a treat to my hotel room the next day to help hurry my recovery.



The attitude in Hawaii is that we're all family, and isn't that a lovely way to live our lives? I'm trying to convey all the aloha I can as I trip trap across the hills of the ci-tay.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Heaven -but, I've been to Hawaii... I love the ci-tay, just like you but do note that the best things running, not unilke snorkling in Hawaii, require one's holding their breath -for at least a while; your city is at times breathtaking!
    Nice Blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen! Hi! I'm excited to see what you write about. I like the title "Urban Aloha." Very cool.

    ReplyDelete